2.9
Additional Fees
Interest Rate

I didn't have this card, my daughter, who lives in another state does. She is hitting a rough patch and I wanted to be able to transfer money to help her buy groceries and gas.

Problem #1--when I tried to register my BANK ISSUED DEBIT CARD (which is all they will accept--no credit card) it declined it. I called customer service...horrible on-hold music... nice CSR, they told me to restart my browser. (AFTER they get the card # you're trying to load...

didn't like that). I restart my browser...still doesn't work. Message says my "card has been decline"...no other info. Next, I try my husband's bank issued debit card.

Declined. I call again. Problem? The debit card has a chip which "says" it is being treated like a debit card.

Again...nice customer service, but this is ridiculous. Next, I use an account from a small town bank whose cards were not issued with a chip. FINALLY... was able to make a transfer.

$1.95 fee, but I get that. Problem #2... The next week, I try to use the same card to transfer another small amount. Denied.

I call. For "security reasons" (which I can't really complain about)...I answer all the questions they want to know... all credit bureau-type questions. "Should be fine now." Go back to computer...

DENIED. Shut down browser. Tried again. DENIED.

Restart computer. DENIED. I call again. This CSR (again, very nice) explains to me that the NETSPEND card isn't really "designed" for Instant Transfer, but rather to be loaded at a reload center.

I am in a small town..fortunately (I thought)... they work with Dollar General. Problem #3... I go to Dollar General and think I can buy a "reload card" like you can buy for minutes for your phone...no...

you have to have the card with you. The card is 350 miles away, along with my broke daughter! WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS? I wish I had never given them as much information as I did.

I wish I could take it all back.

For crying out loud. It's 2016...there are LOTS of different ways to move money around these days.

Review about: Netspend Debit Card.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: It is 2016--If you are going to be a reloadable card--add more options..

I liked: Customer service personnel were very polite, Seemed to have strict security.

I didn't like: Options to reload are not practical, On-hold music was horrific, That they now have all my banking information.

Comments

NetSpend2018

We regret to hear about the problems you and your daughter experienced. Please email social@netspend.com and we will make sure this is addressed.

NetSpend