I bought a $50 prepaid "gift" card to give as a birthday gift.Well, the person I gave it to tried to use it and it was declined.

So, she gave the card back to me and I was going to return it to the retailer where I purchased it. The first thing they asked for was the receipt, which I didn't have. So, I called the toll free number on the netSpend card. Which was useless.

They wanted me to sign up for an account and give them person info - including my SS#. NO WAY! So, at the end of it all, I'm out $50. I just wanted to buy a gift card as a present.

I chose netSpend, because the last time I bought a prepaid card, it was a Vanilla, and I had problems with it also.

They, however, did correct the issue and give me my money.netSpend customer service is located in Pakistan or India, and they are useless.

Review about: Netspend Prepaid Card.

Had an Experience with Netspend?

Comments

NetSpend2013

We apologize for the problems you have experienced with our service. NetSpend does not offer gift cards, but reloadable prepaid debit cards.

Like other financial companies, we are required by our bank, as well as MasterCard and Visa associations, to be compliant with AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and BSA (Bank Secrecy Act) laws. Both laws require that all financial institutions verify the identity of each account holder.

Answers to frequently asked questions and self-help options can be found online at https://www.netspend.com/help or by calling Customer Service at 1-86-NetSpend (1-866-387-7363).

looks like you really need to read the instructions on the cards if it happened twice...not to be mean but most of problems can be solved just by knowing what you are buying and how to use it.never heard about the ss# "has" to be given.

they might do it for "legal" reasons.unfortunately with out the receipt is its hard to prove you the person calling purchased it.