My tax refund was placed on the NetSpend card that I ordered through TurboTax.NetSpend placed a block on my account saying that they needed verification for who I was for security purposes.

I don't even understand why the block was placed because I had used the card the day before at the ATM. When speaking with agents they could not give me a reason for why the block was placed other than for "Security Purposes", The block was placed in March and I sent in my ID and SS card along with a paystub but the original ID I had was worn out, I told them I would have to go the DMV and order a new one which takes 2 weeks to receive, an agent named "Jess", assured me that the block would be removed once they received my information. Either way, they said they needed a copy of my SS card, ID, and proof of address because I had moved. The agent told me that a paystub would be sufficient to be used as proof of address.

I have been going through this for over a month. I faxed the new SS card and the new ID , after waiting 48 hours as they said I called again they claimed they couldn't see the ID & SS card it was too dark, so he told me to take a picture of it and then email it to their fraud department. After seeing how different agents would tell different stories I decided that it would be a good idea to record the conversations, even though Netspend says the calls are recorded based on their customer service, I seriously doubted they would give me access to them, so I started putting the phone on speakerphone and recording the conversations on my own personal recorder, in case I needed to seek legal action to retrieve my money. On April 19, I emailed another copy of my ID and SS card to fraud@netspend.com in which I still have a copy as proof that the email went through.

The agent I spoke with was giving me more excuses so I spoke to a supervisor named "Kobe", (who I now believe made up that name) and he told me that information would be sufficient, he told me that I could call back and speak with him since different agents keep telling me different stories. After 48 hours, the block was still on the card so I called asked to speak to "Kobe", the supervisor, after going through 10 minutes of having to convince the agent to put me to a supervisor, he told me that "Kobe" wasn't available and that I had to speak to a different supervisor. I asked did he even know "Kobe" and he told me "No". then I spoke to anther supervisor named "Steve" who told me that the SS Card and ID was approved but the paystub was not.

He told me that the acceptable documents for proof of address is utility bill, paystub, or a W2s. He told me that they had to be within 30 days old. Even though the pay stub was within 30 days of the original time the block was placed, after going through this for so long it wasn't 30 days of the day I was speaking with him. So they told me the pay stub was out of date and it needed to be within the past 30 days.

"Steve" the supervisor, promised me that when I faxed over the paystub that was recent, that it would be accepted and the block would be removed. I asked once again, if I call back can I speak directly to you, he told me yes, just ask to speak to him. On April 22, I faxed over the paystub that was within date. The paystub was dated for April 19, 2013.

It was faxed to 5125328333. The block was still on. I once again called back, spoke to an agent and asked to speak to "Steve", the agent acted like he didn't know who I was talking about and said he couldn't direct me to Steve, so once again he put me to a different supervisor named "Byron". Byron told me that he was looking up the information and I told him the stories and that I have sent over everything that they asked for.

He looked up the information and says that he sees where the paystub was not accepted, because the "risk department" tried to call me to verify it and couldn't reach me, you can clearly tell he was just making up something for the moment because I have spoken to them several times and several different people and no one ever mentioned that the "risk department" calls you. all the information to remove the block had been provided. I asked to be transferred to the "risk department" and he refused saying that he "couldn't do that". I told him how frustrated I was because I had bills that were past due and I have complied with everything they have asked for and that I needed my money to be released so I could pay my bills.

I informed him that all these calls were being recorded on my personal recorder because it seems as if everyone tells me different things and it seems as if they have intentions of releasing my funds. They had absolutely not reason to still have the block on my card after I have provided all of the verification documents. He then told me resend the pay stub and send it by email as well and he took my phone number, BOTH of my numbers, saying when the paystubs were received again they would call me. He never really gave me a reason for needing to send the same paystub over, either way he promised that after this the block would be removed.

I faxed the paystubs and I emailed the paystubs on Friday April 26. I have a copy of the confirmation of the fax as well as proof that the email was sent. I never received a call from netspend and the block is still on my card. The paystub has all of my information on it, my name, my ssn, and my current address as well as I wrote my reference number on it which is 1713672553.

On Monday, April 29, 2013, I faxed a copy of my progress energy light bill as a verification as well because they said that counted as a proof of address document, so they now have 2 proof of address documents instead of one, a copy of my Valid State ID, as well as my SS Card, and it shows netspend that my bills are past due, due to this mess they are putting me through. The block is still on my card as of today. I have sent over everything that they required as verification and more. They still continue to not release my funds.

I have all recordings of conversations with these supervisors and agents where they are telling me send this and send that yet they never do what they say. I googled Netspend and I see that they do this to customers all the time and a lot of the customers never receive their money back. I am trying to handle this with Netspend without having to take legal action but that will be my next step. They have no right to continue to hold my funds after I have complied with all of their verification.

They will not transfer you to the "risk department" so that you can speak with someone and go up the chain of command. They treat their customers as if they don't have rights and they have the authority to just steal your money. There is approximately $5,000 on my card and Netspend is trying to take it. I am about to have my car repossessed and they have no reason to continue to hold my funds as they are doing.

Something needs to be done immediately. I will send all my documents and these recordings to Turbo Tax, Metabank, and whoever necessary if Netspend does not release my money because they are clearly in the wrong and I will not allow them to scam me out of my money. I would appreciate if this is rectified promptly because I would hope that this company is more professional than this being that they are in stores and being used by a lot of people. I have done everything on my end and Netspend needs to follow through with their end.

I have been as patient as I can and now I am very frustrated because this is not right. I am sending these emails to every customer service person on their website trying to get this rectified. I will not just let this go even if that means I have to get an attorney, I worked hard for my money. I just called to ask why the block was still on the card, they tells me that they have closed my account because they were not able to verify my information, yet I sent in everything.

I figured this, because I see that's what Netspend tells people when they have sent in everything and they have no more lies to tell them as to why they are holding their funds. I also see that Netspend does not send the money back and people are complaining that the IRS has never received it. I am frustrated and I have contacted KVUE news station in Austin Texas where Netspend is based as well as ABC news and the news station in my city, letting them know of my problem, they are prepared to run a story to warn consumers of this scam. I am prepared to give them these recordings of Netspend's agents lying and scamming me as well as the complaints found online as proof to show people that Netspend is a fraudulent company.

I have also contacted the Federal Trade Commission, who says they receive complaints all the time but no one has ever had the actual recordings and that would be definitely needed and would help in shutting Netspend down.

I told him I would contact their corporate office first to see if they will rectify the situation within the next couple days.If Netspend doesn't send my money back to the IRS promptly and show me proof that they did or unblock my account so I can access my money, I will proceed as necessary to the full extent and I will not stop until the entire world knows about Netspend, and they no longer exist.

Had an Experience with Netspend?

Comments

Shawnee, Kansas, United States #1276400

I went through something very similar and by God's grace I ended up getting my money from them.Netspend put me through sending my ssn card drivers license and tried to tell me they would send me a check.

After holding my money for 6 weeks they finally unblocked my card. They put me through the worst financial.

I believe they used my money and returned it.I hope you got ur money back?

Netspend has ad my money locked for a year and a half I just contacted channel 2 action new I need people to please come fourth and let handle this

Kaneki

If considering to take legal matters here are Netspend Term and Conditions

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE ERRORS

In case of errors or questions about your Card Account, telephone us at 1-86- NETSPEND/1-866-387-7363, write to us at NetSpend, P.O.Box 2136, Austin, TX 78768- 2136, or email us at customerservice@netspend.com as soon as you can, if you think an error has occurred in your Card Account.

We must allow you to report an error until sixty (60) days after the earlier of the date you electronically access your Card Account, if the error could be viewed in your electronic history, or the date we sent the FIRST written history on which the error appeared. You may request a written history of your transactions at any time by calling us at 1-86-NETSPEND/1-866-387-7363 or writing to us at NetSpend, P.O. Box 2136, Austin, TX 78768-2136. You will need to tell us: 1.

Your name and Card Number. 2. Why you believe there is an error, and the dollar amount involved. 3.

Approximately when the error took place. If you tell us orally, we may require that you send us your complaint or question in writing within ten (10) business days. We will determine whether an error occurred within ten (10) business days after we hear from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time, however, we may take up to forty-five (45) days to investigate your complaint or question.

If we decide to do this, we will credit your Card...

We will tell you the results within three (3) business days after completing the investigation. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation.

You may ask for copies of the documents that we used in our investigation.If you need more information about our error-resolution procedures, call us at 1-86-NETSPEND/1-866-387-7363 or visit netspend.com.

Roswell, Georgia, United States #705548

They just put a block on my card also for some real crazy reason. They said they are sending another card out so we will see what happens

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #657508

Call santa barba tax product group 8779087228 they hold ur money 30 days once Netspend sends it back to them if you call them within a month they issue you a check if not they send it back to the irs another 6-8 week wait wish I would of known this sooner rather then later but I hopefully this is helpful to the next person

Good luck , netspend says they sent my tax refund over 7k back to the IRS 2 months ago and the IRS still knows nothing about it.

Fitchburg, Wisconsin, United States #648993

NetSpend have the worst customer services EVER!!!! They put a Block on my account due to refund was put back on account.

NetSpend2013
Austin, Texas, United States #645706

We are very sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced with your tax refund and our service.

We can assure you that this request to verify information is meant to protect your account. Please send your information to feedback@netspend.com and we will look into this for you.

NetSpend

to NetSpend2013 Caledonia, Michigan, United States #939231

You are *** liars. Facts r facts. You steal peoples $!!!!!!