7.1K views

Received a Mastercard netspend card with my name on it. Called the number on card and there is no option available to cancel. Went to their website called Call us toll-free at 1-86-NETSPEND (1-866-387-7363) at 8am CT and there is no option to cancel can only talk to a representative if you have lost or stolen your card. So I picked that option anyways to get a live person and been on hold for 30 minutes so far.

Their service is horrible, and they make it real hard for the consumer to cancel the card. The Agency who governs credit cards is not doing their job as it is obvious that thousands of consumers are having various problems. The results in google are alarming.

Bottom line I am trying to cancel a credit card I have not used that came with my name on it and can't.

On hold from 8:00 CT to 8:35 CT in which time a rep came on and said I would need to go online and set up an acct / with pin for security reasons. In reality I had to activate the card I found out after the lady said I would not.

I went ahead and registered the card and no where on the entire website is there an option to close acct.

Proceeded with calling the number above again.

---------

8:55 CT

selected lost/stolen option 1.. message says this is for lost or stolen ONLY. I choose it anyways since no other option is to get a rep on the phone.

"This call maybe monitored, currently experience high call volume your wait time is approx 8 minutes... 9:04 CT..

9:13 CT Was told I need to spend the $2 on the card before they can close it. I asked them to keep the money and close it anyways and that I am a consumer adovocate and I am documenting everything.

They should be able to close the acct. Rep put me on hold 9:14 CT....Rep came back and said the account has been closed. I asked for a confirmation number and the rep put me back on hold..Came back no confirmation number rep said I would receive an email within 6-8 hours. I said you closed my acct and you do not have a conf number? He said no. ... 9:17 CT. END of call. Wonder if I will get an email..

Unreal!

Comments

I activated the card I got in the mail and Then decided to cancel it. I called the number to cancel and got right through.

The lady canceled everything. No problem at all.

valoriepandak
Texas, United States #1275932

NetSpend did this to me. Then they told me I had no account, NetSpend then told me I had to buy another card in the mail wait 10 days and then activate to gain access to my already opened account.

They lie. Its been over a year.

There's a way to cancel your account. You click on the help?

link on the blue bar at the top. One of the options that pops up (for me it was on the bottom, but it might be in a different location) is to deactivate your account. I selected that, hit okay at the bottom and it said it would deactivate the account in 1-3 business days.

Note that it will say that they will charge 5.95 for sending you a check with funds, however it also says that if there's not enough funds to cover the fee they won't send a check which I assume means they don't charge the fee (It can be disputed if they try to). Hope this helps.

to Anonymous Fort Worth, Texas, United States #1101333

My comment above is dated 2012, 4 years ago. Back then they didn't have that option.

Corporate Office Address:

NetSpend Corporation

TSYS

701 Brazos St.

Suite 1200

Austin, TX 78701 United States Phone: 512-532-8200

Kaneki

Netspend Terms and condition is considering taking legal action also since your from Austin Texas I message you what to do.

OUR LIABILITY FOR FAILURE TO COMPLETE TRANSACTIONS

If we do not properly complete a transaction to or from your Card Account on time or in the correct amount according to our Agreement with you, we will be liable for your losses or damages.

However, there are some exceptions. We will not be liable, for instance: (1) If through no fault of ours, you do not have enough funds available in your Card Account to complete the transaction; (2) If a Merchant refuses to accept your Card or Virtual Account; (3) If an ATM where you are making a cash withdrawal does not have enough cash; (4) If an electronic terminal where you are making a transaction does not operate properly, and you knew about the problem when you initiated the transaction; (5) If access to your Card Account has been blocked after you reported your Card, Virtual Account or PIN lost or stolen; (6) If there is a hold or your funds are subject to legal process or other encumbrance restricting their use; (7) If we have reason to believe the requested transaction is unauthorized; (8) If circumstances beyond our control (such as fire, flood, or computer or communication failure) prevent the completion of the transaction, despite reasonable precautions that we have taken; or (9) Any other exception stated in our Agreement with you.

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE ERRORS

In case of errors or questions about your Card Account, telephone us at 1-86- NETSPEND/1-866-387-7363, write to us at NetSpend, P.O. Box 2136, Austin, TX 78768- 2136, or email us at customerservice@netspend.com as soon as you can, if you think an error has occurred in your Card Account.

We must allow you to report an error until sixty (60) days after the earlier of the date you electronically access your Card Account, if the error could be viewed in your electronic history, or the date we sent the FIRST written history on which the error appeared. You may request a written history of your transactions at any time by calling us at 1-86-NETSPEND/1-866-387-7363 or writing to us at NetSpend, P.O. Box 2136, Austin, TX 78768-2136. You will need to tell us: 1.

Your name and Card Number. 2. Why you believe there is an error, and the dollar amount involved. 3.

Approximately when the error took place. If you tell us orally, we may require that you send us your complaint or question in writing within ten (10) business days. We will determine whether an error occurred within ten (10) business days after we hear from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time, however, we may take up to forty-five (45) days to investigate your complaint or question.

If we decide to do this, we will credit your Card Account within ten (10) business days for the amount you think is in error, so that you will have the money during the time it takes us to complete our investigation. If we ask you to put your complaint or question in writing and we do not receive it within ten (10) business days, we may not credit your Card Account. For errors involving new Card Accounts, POS transactions, or foreign-initiated transactions, we may take up to ninety (90) days to investigate your complaint or question. For new Card Accounts, we may take up to twenty (20) business days to credit your Card Account for the amount you think is in error.

We will tell you the results within three (3) business days after completing the investigation. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation. You may ask for copies of the documents that we used in our investigation. If you need more information about our error-resolution procedures, call us at 1-86-NETSPEND/1-866-387-7363 or visit netspend.com.

LOST OR STOLEN CARDS/UNAUTHORIZED TRANSFERS If you believe your Card, Virtual Account or PIN has been lost or stolen, call 1-86- NETSPEND/1-866-387-7363 or write to: NetSpend, P.O. Box 2136, Austin, TX 78768- 2136. You should also call the number or write to the address shown here if you believe an electronic fund transfer has been made using the information from your Card, Virtual Account or PIN without your permission. Your Liability for Unauthorized Transfers Contact us AT ONCE if you believe your Card, Virtual Account or PIN has been lost or stolen, or if you believe that an electronic funds transfer has been made without your permission.

Telephoning us at 1-86-NETSPEND/1-866-387-7363 is the best way to minimize your possible losses. You could lose all the money in your Card Account. Under MasterCard Rules, your liability for unauthorized MasterCard debit transactions on your Card Account is $0.00 if you notify us within two (2) business days and you exercise reasonable care in safeguarding your Card from loss, theft, or unauthorized use. This reduced liability does not apply if a PIN is used as a method of verification for a disputed transaction or you have reported two (2) or more incidents of unauthorized use in the immediately preceding twelve (12) month period.

If you notify us within two (2) business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your Card, Virtual Account or PIN, you can lose no more than $50.00 if someone used your Card, Virtual Account or PIN without your permission. If you do NOT notify us within two (2) business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your Card, Virtual Account or PIN and we can prove that we could have stopped someone from using your Card, Virtual Account or PIN without your permission if you had promptly notified us, you could lose as much as $500.00. If your Card or PIN has been lost or stolen, we will deactivate your Card and issue you a new Card to keep losses down. Also, if you become aware of and/or your electronic history shows transactions that you did not make, including those made by your Card or other means, notify us at once following the procedures stated in the section labeled “Information About Your Right to Dispute Errors” appearing above.

If you do not tell us within 60 days of the earlier of the date you electronically access your account, if the unauthorized transaction could be viewed in your electronic history, or the date we sent the FIRST written history on which the unauthorized transfer appeared, you may not get back any money you lost after the sixty (60) days if we can prove that we could have stopped someone from taking the money if you had notified us in time. If a good reason (such as a long trip or a hospital stay) kept you from telling us, we will extend the time periods for a reasonable period.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States #941355

I didn't receive my net spend card and I cancel it then the card came can I active the card that had cancel

Macon, Georgia, United States #899511

i agree, cant find a way to cancel account although i put any money on it . but i tried once , n it would go through ,keep saying invalid or pinning .

kept calling , hold for ever .

plus card fee more than i thought, glad it money didnt go through . worst customer support.

They stole $100 Dollers from my card

Parrish, Alabama, United States #788639

This card was the worst purchase of my life. 2.00 charge if you sign it (as a charge) 1.00 charge if used as a debit card.

The list can go on. I too am having trouble cancelling the card! If you have a maintencance fee off 5.95 per month if it is inactive for 90 days. I will always buy gift cards from now on.

They have no charges but the actually purchase of the card.

This is a RIP OFF!! Please avoid these cards!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States #697635

Hey! To cancel the net spend card.

Got to HELP once you've logged in to the net spend account online,and then once you hover or click on help underneath it you will see where it says cancel your account. I was confused by this a lil BC I wanted to make sure I was canceling the card so they wouldn't be charging me for having it open each month. This I am pretty sure takes care of it. At the end of the cancel submission,it said my card account was closed.

So we'll see. Good luck to you all.

Just get direct deposit on your tax return. It is way easier and better by far,none of this net spend card stuff(way too inconvenient) :) :x

to catsmeow Pompano Beach, Florida, United States #825255

hi did it work when you cancelled it online?

to catsmeow #833034

I tried that and it worked great, thanks. Hopefully my business is done with Netspend. They're a bunch of illiterate gangsters.

NetSpend2018

We apologize for the problems you have experienced with our service and the card you received.

The card was a marketing offer in case you would be interested in our card. We understand your frustration with trying to get this cancelled and we would be happy to assist you with this. Please send your information to feedback@netspend.com and we will take care of this for you.

NetSpend

to NetSpend2013 #942287

Netspend always sends this S##T but can't do there jobs right.

There is a link to close the account located clearly on the left panel of the website, not sure why this is such an issue.

to You Can Cancel on the Website Cleveland, Ohio, United States #607401

where is it because i couldnt find it no where

I can't believe that they can actual send you a random card with your name on there. I thought it was something from work that I was expecting so I activated.

When I realized it was the wrong card it was impossible to cancel the card.

There are no options online or on the phone to cancel this card. It is obvious that they are trying to be very sly to get people to try their service and they make it impossible to cancel.

to NET SPEND IS FRAUD #603070

Received in mail also, can not cancel, only activate, how scary is that. Anyone on this?

to Seriously Atlanta, Georgia, United States #615902

I was expecting an ADP payroll card when this came NetSpend card with my name printed on it came in the mail. I assumed that this was my payroll card and activated it. Crazy