Netspend - Account locked for no reason! Denied access to my own money!

182 of 315 Netspend Reviews
Feb 10, 2013
review #383231

I'm extremely pissed.I filed my taxes through turbo tax, and chose the option of having my tax return deposited to my pre paid card from this company.

As soon as my card arrived in the mail, I attempted to activate it. For some "MYSTERIOUS" reason, my account locked up, blocking me from having access to my own money. I called customer service, and oh those reps are just pathetic and useless. They could barely speak clear English!

They said it happened for security reasons. I say what should I do? They instructed me to send in my documents i.e SS card, state I.D, W-2 form, to verify who I am and proof of residency. So I did exactly that.

I called back the next day, and they told me they didn't see my residential address on my w-2 form when it was clearly on their in like 5 different spots. And they wanted to see a date on it, but my w-2 form doesn't have a date located on it. So they told me to resend it, once again. Hopefully they won't give me the run around again next time I call up there.

JUST ACTIVATE MY *** ACCOUNT ALREADY!!!! My patience is running thin. I followed their instructions and now they're just making this flat out incredibly difficult for me. PISSED!

I won't recommend this company to anyone! As soon as I withdraw my tax return, I'm throwing away my card and filing a customer complaint. Never again Netspend!

We're over before we ever began.Good riddance.

8b23032
4.6
Had an experience with Netspend?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
182 of 315 Netspend Reviews
Nick

Nov 16, 2013 Crescent City, California

Effectively, they stole my money as well.

I found myself needing to get a prepaid card, so i went with Netspend. A few days after activating the card ( and bringing info in, proving my identity and address ), i was stumped as to why my card got blocked.

I had a bill due, which has since resulted in becoming delinquent. I can only pay it online and no longer have a bank account.

Netspend customer service wanted to verify my identity using "public records", and asked me:

When you lived on "*** road", which of the following streets was closest to you?

How the F**K am i supposed to know that... if i lived there only a month or so and not familiar with the area?

Also, i don't have any "utility" bills in my name. Because i have had mail stolen form my house address, i decided to go with a PO Box, which DOES match my Drivers' license. Should be good enough.. but they don't accept PO Boxes.

So now i'm locked out of my account, and no way to access my money to spend it, or pull it out. They effectively "stole" my money.

I have not been able to resolve this issue.

Jaybeezy

Aug 21, 2013 Huntington Beach, California

Ive had netspend for years little problems here and there nothing major. Then all a sudden yesterday the blocked and closed my account and wont give me any explanation of why it was closed.. Im furious Asf that was all the money to my name i was running out of gas no warning nothing tried to pay for my gas was stranded for hours begging for money due to them abruptly blocking and canceling my account i was with my 5 kids im a single parent how embarrassing that made us look and feel knowing we had money but all of a sudden was denied . Oh yeah dont forget i was a hour away from home taking my kids to the zoo which that didnt happen either . Netspend is full of bs u would think the years I've been with them they would have more notice or even better yet reason for closing my account with no warning and saying they will not deal with me again ever WTF ...

alek

Nov 13, 2013 Miami, Arizona

They did the same thing to me to day nov 13 2013. They said they closed my account duue to innapropriate usage but wont tell me what they mean by that. Thank goodness there was only 150 in there, had it been more itd be worse. Now i have to borrow money from a friend and who knows if netspend will return my money. They said i will get a check in 20 business days! They blame the closure on metabank, but metabank says this is all netspends doing, and netspend is processing their long drawn out refund. Im glad i still hadnt deposited my rent money, otherwise id be totally screwed. Dont trust this company. Youre better off paying cash and using prepaid visa gift cards from walgreens for online purchases.

NetSpend2013

Feb 28, 2013 Mountain View, California

We understand your frustration and apologize for the problems you have encountered with the block on your account. We understand that this can be an inconvenience, but we can assure you that it is for the security of your account.

If this has not already been resolved, please send your information to feedback@netspend.com and we will be happy to assist you with this.

NetSpend

×
You were reading a complaint about Netspend.
Filing a new complaint about
×